EU nationals


EU nationals

As a European citizen, you can enjoy rights to free movement to reside and work in the Netherlands. For a stay of three months or less, a valid form of identification such as a passport is the only requirement. For a stay longer than three months, free movement rights can be enjoyed if you are (self-)employed, looking for a job, a student or if you have sufficient means to support yourself.

If you are planning to reside in the Netherlands for longer than four months, you are required to register at the municipality within five days after your arrival. Not doing so will not have any consequences for your residence rights in the Netherlands, however a fine can be imposed. If you plan to be in the Netherlands for less than four months, you are not required to register at the municipality but you are allowed to do so in order to obtain a Citizen Service Number (‘BSN’).

Family members

Family members (including non-EU family members) can enjoy the same rights and obtain legal residency and access to work in the Netherlands. This applies to your spouse, (registered) partner and children under the age of 21. Other family members can join you when they are dependent on you financially and/or emotionally, which is narrowly defined. To enter the Netherlands, your non-EU spouse, partner or children may require a visa, but this visa should be granted for free and in a speedy manner. A temporary authorization to stay (MVV or D-type visa) is not required.

Your family members can reside in the Netherlands longer than three months if you are (self-) employed or if you can show that you have sufficient means to support your family members and have taken out a health insurance policy. You should also substantiate your relationship with your family members, for example by submitting documents such as birth- or marriage certificates. For spouses and children, this will not be too problematic, but for unmarried partners, the burden of proof may require some extra efforts.

Croatian nationals

Croatian nationals can reside in the Netherlands without needing a residence permit, just like other EU nationals. To perform work as an employee, a work permit is needed, however. Performing work as a self-employed person is allowed, but it is crucial that there is no disguised employment.

British nationals

As long as the United Kingdom has not completed Brexit, British nationals remain EU citizens. The position of British citizens in the Netherlands after Brexit is yet unsure. We advise British citizens who wish to reside in the Netherlands for a longer period to carefully consider their options and to make sure that accrued rights are safeguarded. If you are eligible for a permanent residence permit, it may be worthwhile to apply for this type of permit.

EU, EER and Switzerland

The above mentioned rights of residence and work apply equally to (non-EU) EER country citizens (Liechtenstein, Norway, and Iceland) and Swiss citizens.

The member states of the EU are (currently): Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

If you like to contact us, please leave your phone number below, and we will be in touch with you shortly.